Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Solomon's "Swim No More" - Single Review



     After having the honor and privilege of hearing "Swim No More" from the talented and good-looking Solomon way ahead of its October 15 release date, the emotional, experimental pop/hip-hop track resonated with my own personal experiences over the past year and was the only new song playing for me on a daily basis.

     Following a minute-long video snippet, small interview and exclusive premiere on EQ Music Blog, all written by yours truly, the lead single off the artist's Le Garcon EP, out in January, is still as fresh and intriguing as it was the first time I clicked play. Solomon is bravely letting listeners into his life and the story of a past, troubled relationship. While incorporating unique elements, such as Japanese drums and killer whale noises, into the production, the artist makes sure all ears are on his vocals which at times come off as a mix of Justin Timberlake, Drake and Frank Ocean. Not bad!

     While my post over at EQ for "Swim No More" was more of a news posting than an actual, heartfelt review, choosing to discuss the unique nature of the new single, I feel I could not express my true feelings for the song anywhere else but my own site. Solomon caught my eyes by releasing uptempo pop-laced efforts including "Wit Us U Can't", "Life Goes On" and an amazing cover of Robyn's "Dancing On My Own" (one of my favorite songs ever), but recently has been experiencing a change in sound and style which I can only commend. While I must admit to being skeptical of his new passion for experimental, genre-bending tracks, he completely won me over with the ballad "The Way We Were", not to mention the simple yet beautiful accompanying music video. I was afraid he wouldn't top it. Glad to see I was wrong.

     When the California artist first sent "Swim No More" to get my opinion, I immediately said it was probably the best song he has created thus far. From the calming ocean wave intro to strong lyrics such as "I could be good for you, you only love me when I gone", from impressive vocals throughout to a personal phone conversation interlude (which did run on ten seconds too long), it all came harmoniously together to create an effective, tear-jerking yet empowering message for anyone struggling with an old flame that just doesn't seem to want to be extinguished. I have respect for independent artists, but I have a lot more respect for Solomon, who takes on the roles of singer, songwriter, producer and label owner as well.

     In the past month, Solomon has graciously shared early previews of "Swim No More", as well as another Le Garcon cut which is just as epic and vocally impressive as his previous offering, and was kind enough to accept an interview with me for the November cover of Dallas' Evoke Magazine. I have learned so much about the no-holds-bar, blunt, sassy, diverse artist and am rooting for his future success. The EP, and debut album Why Boys Cry, might be a few months off, but the wait will be worth it!

A

   

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar