Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Up & Coming New Nashville- Becky Schlegel (With Exclusive Interview)

Becky's Schlegel's new single, "So Embarrassing," is a lilting tale of infidelity that showcases Schlegel's poetic and (sometimes) painfully honest writing style. It is the debut single from Becky's upcoming CD, DANDELION, on Lilly Ray/IGO Records (distributed by Select-O-Hits). Click HERE to listen to the new single.

Becky's spellbinding soprano is the obvious highlight of "So Embarrassing," and renowned singer/instrumentalist Randy Kohrs' striking background vocal creates an intriguing dynamic. A stellar group of musicians fill out the track, and they are: Brian Fesler (guitar); Phil Hey (drums) Gordon Johnson (bass); Randy Kohrs (dobro) and Kenny Wilson (steel guitar).

Becky is not only a singer/songwriter, she is a wife and mother as well. While soft-spoken and tenderhearted, she has a lighter side that is quirky, fun and vibrant. Her stage shows are lively, and she guides her career with a strong and willing hand. Schlegel’s artistic journey began with piano lessons when she was just five years old, growing up in Kimball, South Dakota (pop. 700). She played the piano for the next 13 years, performing at VFW and American Legion halls as a member of her mother’s band, The Country Benders. During the prairie summers following high school, Becky continued to immerse herself in traditional country while singing and playing keyboards for the Mountain Music Show in the Black Hills of South Dakota - seven nights a week. She also recorded (and produced) two projects of her own to sell after her performances.

Becky stepped out on her own in 2002, and recorded her first solo CD, RED LEAF. All 11 tracks were originals – and they were “one-step removed” from bluegrass. “I feel that it’s a beautiful & timeless project,” she says of RED LEAF. “I was fortunate enough to have some incredible players join me on this album– Peter Ostroushko, Marc Anderson and Gordon Johnson among them.” The album received critical acclaim – and the title track was named 2002’s Music City Minnesota Song of the Year by the Minnesota Music Festival.

Also that year, the Minnesota Music Academy voted Schlegel Bluegrass/Old-Time Artist of the Year, and named RED LEAF the year’s best Bluegrass/Old-Time Recording. In 2003, Becky was again voted Bluegrass/Old-Time Artist of the Year by the MMA. The following year, she was named the organization’s Bluegrass Group/Artist of the Year. Additional honors include performances at the International Bluegrass Music Association’s (IBMA) Songwriters’ Showcase in both 2003 and 2005.

We had a chance to chat with the talented songwriter about some of her inspirations in music.

That Nashville Sound- What brought you to music in the first place?

Becky Schlegel- Well, I remember being drawn to music at a very young age. I started playing piano and singing around age 5. I remember listening to people sing on the radio and thinking "I'd LOVE to do that!". I have always loved Country music, because that is what we listened to growing up. When I was 16, I heard Bluegrass for the first time. I couldn't move. It had such an impact on me... Now, my greatest love it songwriting. It's nice to have something of your own...

TNS- Describe your music- what's the mission behind the music?

BS- It's hard to describe... I usually tell people it's just pretty music, almost "sleepy". I write to be creative, and hope that it may touch other people as much as it does me. It's a wonderful sort of therapy...

TNS- What might people be surprised to find out about you?

BS- Oh boy... that I'm an awful cook.

TNS- What kind of music are you listening to? What's in your iPod?

BS- Well, today I listened to a Country Gentlemen record, and also a Donna Fargo record... LOVE "Amelia Earhart"! Oh, and thinking of Donna Fargo, I found an old 45 of "Funny Face" a couple months ago... What a find! - I'm going to frame it and hang it on the wall. (I don't have an iPod.)

TNS- If you had a crystal ball and looked forward five years, what do you see for yourself?

BS- Hopefully, enjoying someone's version of a song I wrote, writing for a living, and enjoying my children and family more than ever...

TNS- Quick questions… Favorite Hobby?

BS- I love to collect old toys.

TNS- Record Stores or Downloads?

BS- Digging through the record bins at flea markets...

TNS- Favorite Food?

BS- Mountain Dew, Decaf Coffee, and Snickers.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar